Today, we introduced exciting new features that will roll out to Roku devices over the coming months. Roku OS 9.4 offers you new ways to access entertainment quickly including support for Apple AirPlay and HomeKit, a new way to access The Roku Channel’s Live TV Channel Guide on Roku TVs, performance enhancements, and more!
NAVIGATION & CONTROLS
New features coming to Roku devices include:
- Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit – Later this year, we’re expecting to deliver Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit capabilities on select 4K Roku devices. With AirPlay 2, you can stream, control, and share your favorite content directly from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to your Roku device and bring the experience to the big screen. HomeKit allows you to easily and securely control your Roku device using the Home app and Siri on iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, or HomePod.
- Live TV Channel Guide – Have a Roku TV? Now you can watch free live TV directly from your home screen by selecting the “Live TV” input tile. This gives you one-click access to an easy to use program guide with over 115 free live streaming TV channels. If you have an antenna connected, you’ll be able to view a combined program guide with free streaming channels and over-the-air broadcast channels. Additionally, you can choose between two program guide views, including recently watched channels.
- Helpful Hints for Roku Voice – Helpful hints will appear directly on the TV screen to inform you of voice commands you can use on your Roku device. These hints are designed to help you enjoy quick, simple control of your Roku device using a wide variety of voice commands. Roku Voice is available on compatible voice remotes or via the free Roku mobile app.
- Surround level control for multi-channel audio – If you own Roku audio products with a multi-channel speaker configuration, you’ll be able to adjust the volume of your rear surround speakers relative to the volume of your soundbar for sound levels that match your preference.
THE ROKU CHANNEL
We’re also excited to announce that we’re making The Roku Channel more accessible by enabling more people – even non-Roku users – to enjoy free entertainment. The Roku Channel mobile app (available for iOS and Android devices) will offer the same great experience you see on Roku devices today, including access to Premium Subscriptions.
- The Roku Channel free mobile app for iOS and Android smartphones – The all new dedicated mobile app delivers free and premium entertainment for all. You can now enjoy a wide variety of free on-demand entertainment, live TV, and news, as well as access to Premium Subscriptions.
- More free linear channels – The Roku Channel is expanding its free live/linear channel lineup in the U.S. with new channels, including Bloody Disgusting TV, The Craftistry, Circle, HappyKids.tv, Hi-YAH! – The Martial Arts Channel, iFood.tv, The LEGO Channel, Maverick Black Cinema, MOVIESPHERE, Skills + Thrills, VENN, and Weatherspy, as well as a variety of Spanish-language entertainment including Sony Canal Comedias, Sony Canal Compentencias, Sony Canal Novelas from Sony Pictures Television and Tastemade en Espanol.
Roku OS 9.4 will begin rolling out to select Roku players this month and is expected to roll out to all supported streaming players, including the all-new Roku Ultra and Roku Streambar, in the coming weeks. Roku TV models are expected to receive the update in phases over the coming months. For more information on the Roku OS visit Roku.com.
Learn more about the all-new Roku Ultra and Roku Streambar here.
The post Roku OS 9.4 offers new ways to access entertainment, more voice options, and customizations appeared first on The Official Roku Blog.
Source: Official Roku Website