Today the Un-Carrier announced a set of comprehensive protections to combat unwanted scammers from targeting mobile phones. Scam Shield is a free service to T-Mobile, Metro by T-Mobile, and Sprint customers that provides enhanced caller ID features and more, including technology built into T-Mobile’s very network.
Scammer calls have been on the rise lately, especially during the coronavirus pandemic, with scams increasing by 70% from May to June. Americans have already lost $80 million to COVID-related scams this year.
“Now that Sprint is a part of T-Mobile, we can take on even bigger problems, so today, we’re taking on one of the biggest pain points in wireless — scams and unwanted robocalls,” said Mike Sievert, CEO at T-Mobile. “Scam Shield has never been more needed than it is right now. Scammers see COVID-19 as an opportunity to take advantage of Americans at their most vulnerable. When we saw that happening, we knew we had to take bold, swift action. With Scam Shield, T-Mobile customers get fewer scam calls, period … and it’s all because of our advanced network.”
Here’s what’s inside T-Mobile’s Scam Shield:
- Free Scam ID and Blocking. Suspicious calls are flagged, and customers can turn on scam blocking to never see those calls again.
- Free, Enhanced Caller ID. If we know who’s calling, you’ll know who is calling. And with new improvements, you’ll know when the number is verified as coming from a real person or business.
- Free Second Number. Introducing T-Mobile PROXY, a second number to keep your personal number personal.
- Free Number Change. If your personal number becomes a spam magnet, get a clean slate with a new number.
- Free Scam Shield App. The central spot to activate these new protections and, for an extra charge, unlock more advanced call controls. Sprint customers now get free protections — previously an added charge — in the upgraded Call Screener app.
- Free Be ID Aware Service. Get ID monitoring and alerts for 12 months from the experts at McAfee, available for a limited time.
Sprint will be rebranded under the T-Mobile name on August 2, with legacy Sprint stores getting a makeover and offering T-Mobile deals. With these official rebranding operations underway, we can expect to see some aggressive offers unveiled starting next week to celebrate the merger and get a leg up on the competition.
Speaking of which, T-Mobile has called out its competitors including Verizon and AT&T for charging for scam protecting services.
“As an industry, we have to be better. Today, Verizon and AT&T are profiting off consumer fears. They’re charging to protect you from the very scams and robocalls their network brings you. It’s wrong, and it’s got to stop,” added Sievert. “We can be better, and at T-Mobile, we will continue righting the wrongs of this industry. Today, I’m challenging the Carriers to get off their assets, stop profiting from fear and do the right thing, because everyone needs and deserves protection now, more than ever.”
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel? Every week we have a live Cord Cutting Q&A, and weekly Cord Cutting recap shows exclusively on our YouTube Channel!
The post T-Mobile Unveils Free ‘Scam Shield’ Features Against Robocalls appeared first on Cord Cutters News.
Source: Cord Cutters News